This Tuscan Chicken Wellington Recipe is perfect for entertaining, but it’s also a delicious weekday meal. I like to serve this dish with roasted vegetables and potatoes or rice pilaf.
The recipe can be made ahead of time and frozen unbaked until you are ready to cook it (make sure the filling doesn’t touch the metal in your freezer).
It will take about an hour and a half in the oven when you are ready to bake it. Remember that even though this dish has many steps, they are not difficult ones! So get cooking!
How to prepare Tuscan Chicken Wellington Recipe
- 3 tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion (from about 1 medium-sized onion)
- clove garlic, minced or pressed through a garlic press
- tsp. Dried basil
- ½ tsp. Salt
- ¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- Tbsp. flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1/4 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
1. Heat the oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a baking sheet with 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
2. In a large skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until the onion is softened, about 5 minutes. Add the basil, salt, pepper, and flour and stir to combine. Cook for 1 minute to get rid of the flour taste.
3. Slowly add the chicken broth, constantly whisking to prevent lumps from forming. Stir in the tomato paste and nutmeg. Bring to a simmer and cook until thickened, about 5 minutes.
4. Remove from the heat and stir in the chicken.
5. Place the puff pastry dough on a lightly floured work surface. Roll out the dough into a 12-inch square and trim the edges to form a perfect square.
Place the pastry on your work surface with the short side of the dough facing you (the long side should be along the edge of your work surface).
6. Spoon half of the chicken mixture onto one half of the center third of the pastry, leaving about a 2-inch border uncovered.
7. Fold the empty side of the pastry over the chicken mixture and press down around the edges to seal them together. Cut 3 small slits in the top of the dough to allow steam to escape during baking.
8. With a spatula, carefully place the Wellington onto your prepared pan and brush it with the beaten egg.
9. Bake for 30 minutes, or until the pastry is golden brown and the filling is hot and bubbly. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts of Tuscan Chicken Wellington Recipe
|Saturated fat||7 g|
Good to know about this Tuscan Chicken Wellington Recipe: It can be prepared ahead and frozen until you can cook it. Remember that even though this dish has many steps, they are not difficult ones! So get cooking!
You may like: Nuwave Pumpkin Pie Recipe: Best 13 Nutrition Facts
The Benefits of Tuscan Chicken Wellington Recipe
1. Thanks to its main ingredients, the Tuscan Chicken Wellington Recipe is a good protein and vitamin B source.
2. It also contains several vitamins and minerals.
3. Onions have been used in treating cancer due to their antioxidant properties. They are an excellent source of chromium, which helps regulate blood sugar levels and may help prevent type 2 diabetes. On the other hand, Garlic has antibiotic properties and can help in preventing heart disease.
4. The recipe is also low in calories and saturated fats.
5. It is a good source of dietary fiber that can help maintain bowel health and prevent constipation.
6. Finally, this recipe is delicious.
Who Can Eat This Delicious Recipe?
1. Everyone! The Tuscan Chicken Wellington Recipe is perfect for looking for a healthy and tasty dish.
2. It is also suitable for those on a diet or trying to eat healthier.
3. The recipe can be easily modified to cater to everyone’s dietary needs and preferences.
4. The dish is also suitable for athletes, pregnant women, and the elderly.
5. Children who are just learning their way around cooking can benefit from this recipe because it isn’t challenging to make and will still yield a tasty dish that all family members can enjoy!
6. It’s a good choice for busy people and don’t have time to cook elaborate meals.
7. Last but not least, the Tuscan Chicken Wellington Recipe is perfect for special occasions!
Can I Freeze It??
Yes, you can freeze the Tuscan Chicken Wellington Recipe.
1. Follow all of the instructions for preparing the dish, except baking it.
2. Instead, place it in an airtight container and freeze for up to 2 months.
3. When ready to cook it, remove it from the freezer and place it in the refrigerator overnight to thaw.
4. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F and bake for 40-45 minutes, or until heated through.
This is a delicious Tuscan Chicken Wellington Recipe that will leave your family and guests feeling as if they have been transported to Italy.
The layers of tender, flavorful chicken wrapped in flaky puff pastry with prosciutto ham and spinach are sure to be the star at any dinner party or holiday celebration!
If you want more recipes like this one, click here for our latest post on easy meals for entertaining over the holidays.