Transparent Fried Chicken is a new dish in the Philippines that quickly catches on with Filipinos and tourists.
It was originally made from raw chicken using milk, buttermilk, vinegar, salt, and pepper to preserve the meat by turning it translucent.
In this recipe for Transparent Fried Chicken, Chef Terri Hickey from Little Manila shares her recipe for making the dish at home.
- 1 How to make Transparent Fried Chicken
- 2 Nutrition facts of Transparent Fried Chicken
- 3 Easy 7 Serving Ideas for Transparent Fried Chicken
- 4 Is Transparent Fried Chicken Nutrition?
- 5 Is Transparent Fried Chicken Healthy?
- 6 Is Transparent Fried Chicken Gluten-Free?
- 7 Is Transparent Fried Chicken Keto-Friendly?
- 8 Conclusion
How to make Transparent Fried Chicken
- Roughly 7 pounds of fresh chicken,
- deboned and cut into 1½” pieces.
- 1 cup of milk.
- 1 cup of buttermilk.
- 1 tablespoon of any white vinegar or cider vinegar
- or ½ teaspoon apple cider vinegar.
- ½ teaspoon salt, or to taste. Or to taste.
Step 1: Mix the milk and buttermilk.
Step 2: In a large bowl, combine the flour, salt, and pepper.
Step 3: Place the chicken pieces into the milk and buttermilk mixture. Stir until evenly coated.
Step 4: Place flour mixture into a sieve. Shake off excess flour to keep it from clumping. Dredge each piece of chicken through the flour to coat both sides of each piece of chicken.
Step 5: Place the butter or vegetable oil in a large cast iron skillet. Heat to medium-high. Place chicken pieces into the pan as soon as it is hot enough.
Step 6: Fry, the chicken until it is cooked through and golden brown on both sides. Test by plunging a fork into the thickest part of the chicken; if it meets with little resistance, the chicken is cooked through.
• Prepare time: 30 minutes
• Cooking time: 20 minutes
• Serving: 4-6 people
Nutrition facts of Transparent Fried Chicken
- Calories: 856
- Protein: 97g
- Carbohydrates: 34g
- Sugar: 4g
- Fat: 69g
Easy 7 Serving Ideas for Transparent Fried Chicken
2. Serve it with rice pilaf or rice to make it easy to scoop sauce onto the chicken.
3. Serve it with bread, rolls, or corn muffins for a tasty and economical meal that leaves no leftovers to worry about.
4. Serve it with rice or rice pilaf and bread as a delicious example of down-home comfort food that is simple and filling yet sophisticated enough for company dinners or holiday gatherings.
5. Serve it with a pasta dish, sautéed spinach, or roasted new potatoes.
6. Serve it with the spicy mayonnaise recipe below, cream gravy, or tartar sauce. You can also serve it with salsa or barbecue sauce.
7. Serve it with mashed potatoes or rice pilaf, succotash, and a green salad.
Is Transparent Fried Chicken Nutrition?
Transparent Fried Chicken is a great source of protein and iron, which keeps you lean and healthy. It also provides many vitamins A, B6, B12, and niacin.
Is Transparent Fried Chicken Healthy?
Yes, if you are healthily eating Transparent Fried Chicken, it benefits you. Make sure that you are eating a well-balanced diet every day and that your calories in don’t exceed your calories out.
Is Transparent Fried Chicken Gluten-Free?
This recipe is whole grain, gluten-free, and refined sugar-free. Chicken is a great source of protein that will keep you slender and healthy. It also provides you significant amounts of vitamins A, B6, B12, niacin, and iron.
Is Transparent Fried Chicken Keto-Friendly?
Transparent Fried Chicken is not keto-friendly, as it contains a little sugar. However, you can easily make it healthy by using low-carb dressing and vegetable oil instead of trans fat.
This dish can be cooked in as little as ten minutes from start to finish. It is so quick and easy that you have time to prepare the sauce, which is very simple to make.
The sauce should be sweet and tangy at the same time. This is how I made it. The dressing can also be changed according to your taste; add or take away a different seasoning or two or one ingredient at a time until you find what tastes best to you