Fried Chicken Taco Recipe is a delightful twist on tacos, which is a difficult feat. With a crispy fried chicken, wilted cabbage and onion mix, and cilantro and red sauce, the taco has the perfect balance of crunchy on the outside and juicy inside.
How to make Fried Chicken Taco Recipe
Prepare time: 10 min
Cooking time: 20 min
Total: 30 min
- 2lb Chicken Breast (cut into bite-sized pieces)
- 1cup All Purpose Flour
- 3/4 cup Panko Breadcrumbs (standard breadcrumbs are fine too)
- 3/4 tsp Black Pepper Powder
- 1 tsp Ground Cumin
- 1tsp Sea Salt or Herb Salt
- 2 tbsp Onions, finely chopped or grated on a fine grater or food processor. (optional) I used red onions.
Step 1: Season the chicken with salt, black pepper, paprika, and cumin.
Step 2: Heat oil in a skillet. Add the chicken pieces along with any marinade. Coat evenly with flour and shake off excess.
Step 3: Fry on medium heat for about 20 minutes until all the chicken pieces turn opaque and golden brown, turning occasionally. Remove from heat and set aside.
Step 4: In a bowl, mix flour, panko, salt, and pepper together. Add chicken pieces to the bowl, cover, and toss to coat evenly with the flour mixture.
Step 5: Heat oil in another skillet on medium heat. Once hot, drizzle in enough batter to cover the bottom of your pan (about 1/2 cup). Spread the batter out evenly on the base of your pan.
Place fried chicken pieces onto the batter (don’t crowd them). Cook until the base is golden brown, then flip and cook another side. Remove from the heat.
Step 6: Heat cabbage, onions, and cilantro in a pan with a little bit of olive oil or butter. Toss in salt.
Step 7: Warm tortillas on a skillet with some butter/oil or wrap them in a damp paper towel and microwave for 30 seconds on high.
Step 8: Place about 1/4 cup of the cabbage mix on top of each tortilla. Top with a chicken piece, a drizzle of red sauce, and some cilantro leaves.
Step 9: Fold the tortillas in half and eat!
Step 10: Add sour cream, avocado slices, cheese, or anything else you like to your taco. Enjoy!
Nutrition facts of Fried Chicken Taco Recipe
- Calories: 490
- Fat: 28g
- Carbohydrates: 15g
- Protein: 38g
- Fiber: 1g
- Sodium: 500mg
8 Health Benefits of Fried Chicken Taco Recipe
1. This recipe is a great source of protein. Chicken provides an assortment of vitamins and minerals, including B vitamins such as thiamine, riboflavin, and niacin. It also contains essential minerals such as copper, selenium, zinc, and phosphorus.
2. Panko breadcrumbs are high in both protein and fiber. One study found that people who consumed panko bread crumbs had less body fat than those who did not consume it.
3. The red onions add a necessary layer of flavor and crunch to the tacos. Red onions contain health-promoting antioxidants and they are also a good source of vitamin C as well as providing dietary fiber.
4. Cabbage is low in calories while being high in vitamin C, vitamin K, potassium, folate, and dietary fiber.
5. Cilantro has been shown to have various health benefits including improving immune function and reducing inflammation in the body. It is also used for decreasing cholesterol levels and improving digestion.
6. This recipe is also a good source of vitamin A, which is essential for optimal vision.
7. The tacos are also rich in thiamin, copper, and phosphorus.
8. Finally, the red sauce adds to the color and flavor of the tacos without all the calories and salt that come with store-bought sauces.
Freezing Ideas for Fried Chicken Taco Recipe
These fried chicken tacos are best served fresh, but if you’re like me, you’ll want to save the leftovers and eat them later. Luckily, there are a couple of ways you can do this without compromising on taste!
Freeze the tacos immediately after they’re cooked by placing them in an air-tight container. Then reheat the tacos in a microwave before serving. Heat thoroughly before eating so that the toppings don’t get soggy.
Fried chicken tacos sauce?
If you’re afraid of making the red sauce, you have the option to use the store-bought taco sauce of your choice.
Fried shredded chicken tacos?
Some other taco recipes I’ve made:
½) Crispy Chicken Avocado Tostadas – Healthy, creamy avocado tostadas topped with crunchy cashew-based sauce, fresh tomatoes, red onions, cilantro, and limes with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil on top.
Spicy fried chicken tacos?
If you want them spicy, add some cayenne pepper to your batter for a more authentic taco taste. If you love tacos but want to make them healthier, check out my healthy taco recipes!
Southern fried chicken tacos?
If you want to make them Southern-style, add some smoked or barbecue chicken meat or even tofu instead of the fried chicken. You can also use corn tortillas if you prefer a different type of taco.
Whether you’re in the mood for some good old fried chicken or looking for a substitute for unhealthy fast-food tacos, these fried chicken tacos will fill you up without breaking your diet.
Have you ever tried making your own taco meat? What’s your favorite taco recipe? Let me know in the comments below!
Thanks for stopping by! If you’d like to receive new recipe notifications, please follow this blog. Feel free to also follow us on Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest, and Twitter. This site contains affiliate links.
What sauce is on the crispy chicken sandwich taco?
It’s Dr. Pepper BBQ sauce mixed with regular BBQ sauce. I used a 2:1 ratio of BBQ to Dr. Pepper and it was perfect!
How do you make fried chicken in Mexico?
I did some research on how to make fried chicken in Mexico and the recipe is different! You fry your chicken in a pan, then sprinkle it with salt and pepper. You don’t need to dredge the meat at all. I used this marinade recipe but it’s really not authentic at all.
How do you make fried chicken crispy?
This recipe gives you super crispy fried chicken! I’ve developed a pretty good formula for crispy chicken without it being dry.