Chicken Vepudu is an Indian dish of chicken marinated in sour yogurt, ground spices, and herbs. Ingredients such as lime, red chili powder, and coriander are used.
It is traditionally cooked with less oil and served with hot chapatis or naan bread. This recipe is one of the most popular ones at Madhurjaya on the menu as it’s flavorsome yet simple to make.
- 1 How to make Chicken Vepudu
- 2 Nutrition Information:
- 3 Health Benefits of Chicken Vepudu
- 4 Best 7 Freezing Ideas for Chicken Vepudu
- 5 Is Chicken Vepudu Nutrition?
- 6 Is Chicken Vepudu Healthy?
- 7 Is Chicken Vepudu Hearty?
- 8 How to Store Chicken Vepudu
- 9 Is Chicken Vepudu Gluten-Free?
- 10 Is Chicken Vepudu Healthy for Weight Loss?
- 11 Conclusion
How to make Chicken Vepudu
- 1 whole chicken [bone-in, skin-on]
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 tbsp garlic paste
- 3 to 4 green chilies, chopped finely or to taste
- salt as required.
Step 1. In a large bowl, mix the yogurt and coriander powder. Stir in garlic and green chilies. Add lime juice, salt, red chili powder, and salt. Mix well to combine all the ingredients.
Step 2. Add chicken pieces to this, and rub the marinade on the chicken, ensuring all parts are coated with it. Cover and refrigerate for at least 6 hours or overnight.
Step 3. Before cooking, preheat the oven to 400°F (204°C).
Step 4. Rinse chicken thoroughly under cold water and pat dry with a paper towel.
Step 5. Put chicken in a roasting pan and roast in the oven until the skin becomes crisp and golden brown, about 50 to 60 minutes. Baste with any juices collected at the pan’s bottom every 20 minutes.
Step 6. Remove from oven and let cool slightly before cutting. It can be served with rice or roti or just as a snack!
Prepare time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Yield: 8 Servings
- Calories: 207
- Carbohydrates: 2.8 g
- Cholesterol: 74 mg
- Fat: 8.2 g
- Fiber: 0.3 g
- Protein: 25.9 g
- Sodium: 92 mg
Health Benefits of Chicken Vepudu
Chicken Vepudu is high in protein and, therefore, great for athletes. It’s low in saturated fat, very good in potassium, and a source of vitamins A and B complex. The chicken marinade includes the goodness of garlic which has been shown to reduce the risk of colon cancer.
Dietary fiber lowers cholesterol levels and prevents constipation. It also helps maintain a healthy digestive system and has anti-obesity properties. Red chili powder enhances this dish’s flavors and contains capsaicin, reducing appetite.
Best 7 Freezing Ideas for Chicken Vepudu
1. Chicken Vepudu can be frozen and later used to make chicken kebabs or stews. The recipe doesn’t include any oil, so it will keep chunky and will not thaw out too much during cooking.
2. Chicken Vepudu can be frozen in a freezer bag or covered container for up to one month.
3. It can also be frozen in a plastic container with an airtight lid, like Tupperware. This way, each portion can be heated separately.
5. Freeze it in larger portions and save it for dinner parties or dinner with friends.
6. Chicken will taste great when served hot with some bread or chapatis alongside raita, pickle, salad, curd, or ketchup as dips!
7. Chicken Vepudu can be used as a stuffing for other dishes like rolls or cutlets, or leftover chicken can be used for making sandwiches the next day.
Is Chicken Vepudu Nutrition?
The preparation and serving of this dish can vary among restaurants and households. With the many ways to prepare it and with ingredients that could be added or omitted, it is hard to give a specific nutritional count for this recipe.
However, some nutrition information is derived from one serving of the Madhurjaya Chicken Vepudu along with calories, fat, carbohydrate, and sodium content.
Is Chicken Vepudu Healthy?
As with most recipes, there are health benefits and disadvantages to eating Chicken. The fact that the dish is low in fat, has a low-calorie count, and is high in protein makes it one of the healthier options in Indian cuisine. However, this recipe contains salt and should not be consumed by those on a low-sodium diet.
Is Chicken Vepudu Hearty?
Chicken may be eaten as an entree, main course, or appetizer. It is also tasty as a snack or eaten cold in between meals. Chicken Vepudu can be served as an entree accompanied by rice, chapatis, and vegetables or as a side dish.
How to Store Chicken Vepudu
To thaw Chicken Vepudu, remove it from the freezer the night before and put it in the refrigerator, so it is completely defrosted by dinnertime. Alternatively, you can defrost the dish in a microwave. You can also cook Chicken Vepudu and freeze it for later use.
Is Chicken Vepudu Gluten-Free?
Yes. This dish is gluten-free and, therefore, safe for those on a gluten-free diet. It is made without any wheat flour or other products that contain gluten.
Is Chicken Vepudu Healthy for Weight Loss?
A low-fat diet is one of the more popular ways to lose weight. The protein content in this recipe makes it a nutritious option as protein gives you energy and helps build muscle, keeping your metabolism going so that you burn more calories every day.
Chicken Vepudu is a very popular chicken dish across the state of Andhra Pradesh. It’s tasty and quick to prepare, making it a convenient choice for a satisfying lunch or dinner.
Madhurjaya Chicken Vepudu is my thanksgiving for the great food tradition of Andhra Pradesh! You can learn more delicious recipes from this amazing cuisine here.