Birria Tacos Recipe Slow Cooker is a recipe for what Mexicans call Birria de Res. Slow cooking is the perfect way to make the meat tender but still flavorful.
You can use any beef or goat entrails and get a rich flavor. Use a slow cooker to save yourself all the hassle of chopping and shredding!
If you’re watching your waistline, try substituting low-fat shredded cheese (preferably less than 2 percent) instead of the grated cotija cheese in this Mexican specialty.
- 1 How to make Birria Tacos Recipe Slow Cooker
- 2 Nutrition facts of Birria Tacos Recipe Slow Cooker
- 3 Benefits of Birria Tacos Recipe Slow Cooker
- 4 Easy 8-serving Ideas for Birria Tacos Recipe Slow Cooker
- 5 Slow cooker Birria Chicken Tacos
- 6 Is Birria Tacos Recipe Slow Cooker Healthy?
- 7 Is Birria Tacos Recipe Slow Cooker Gluten-Free?
- 8 Is Birria Tacos Recipe Slow Cooker Vegan?
- 9 Conclusion
- 10 FAQ
How to make Birria Tacos Recipe Slow Cooker
Prepare time: 10 min
Cook time: 4 hrs
Ingredients for 4 Servings:
- 1.1-2kgs beef or goat entrails
- 3 Tbsp oil
- 1 small onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp oregano leaves
- ½ tsp ground chili pepper flakes (or more if you like it spicy!)
- 4 Tbsp dry red wine or vermouth to deglaze the pan (to add depth of flavor)
- ¼ cup taco sauce of your choice.
Step 1: Brown the beef or goat entrails (you mustn’t use very tender pieces).
Step 2: In a small pan, heat 3 tbsp oil and sauté onions until soft, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cumin seeds and cook for another 5 mins or so. Add the meat to the pan and brown for about 5 more minutes on all sides.
Step 3: Stir in oregano, chili pepper flakes, and taco sauce, stirring to coat the meat. Transfer to a slow cooker. Add sufficient water to cover the meat (about 1 inch above the meat), cover, and cook on low heat for 4 hours.
Step 4: Stir in red wine or vermouth, stir, cover, and cook for another hour. Remove from slow cooker and serve with your choice of taco shells, chopped onion & coriander, or grated cotija cheese.
Nutrition facts of Birria Tacos Recipe Slow Cooker
- 233 Calories
- 26g Fat
- 22g Protein
- 2g Carbohydrate
- 1.4g Dietary fiber
- 0mg Cholesterol
- 469mg Sodium
Benefits of Birria Tacos Recipe Slow Cooker
It contains vitamin B3, vitamin B6, and selenium. It is a good source of protein and amino acids. It is rich in glutathione which helps reduce oxidative stress & protects the body from free radical damage to cells, tissues, and organs.
Its high cysteine content gives it anti-inflammatory properties that are effective in treating conditions such as asthma, arthritis & rheumatism, among others. It contains niacin, which helps prevent harmful LDL cholesterol formation and improves HDL levels.
It also contains vitamins B1 & B2, which help convert food into energy. Vitamin B2 is an important component of the nervous system, immune system & skin. It is known for its anti-inflammatory properties and protects from stomach ulcers & liver diseases.
Easy 8-serving Ideas for Birria Tacos Recipe Slow Cooker
1. Serve it with your favorite taco shells, chopped onion & coriander, or grated cotija cheese.
2. Use it to make Birria Torta by using fresh brioche instead of taco shells and adding a layer of refried beans, salsa & mayonnaise between the meat & brioche. Bake until golden brown to serve!
3. Use it to make Baked Tacos by baking fresh tortillas (corn or flour) in an oven until they are firm and golden brown on both sides. Place a layer of cheese on the bottom tortilla, spread the meat on top, add salsa & sprinkle more grated cheese. Place a fresh tortilla on top and put it in the oven until the cheese has melted & everything is hot!
4. Make Birria Burritos by using soft flour tortillas (flour or corn both taste great with this!) and adding refried beans, salsa, chopped onion & coriander, and grated cotija cheese to make it delicious!
5. Add it to your favorite Soups as a strong beef broth base or as a tasty addition to bean soups.
6. Use it to make a hearty Beef and Bean Stew.
7. Make a taco salad using crumbled tortilla chips on a bed of chopped lettuce and add grated cotija cheese, salsa, chopped onion & coriander.
8. Use it as you would use any ground meat in your favorite pasta dishes or stir-fries!
Slow cooker Birria Chicken Tacos
Today I made the recipe using chicken instead of beef. The results are equally delicious and tender. I used turkey taco shells. They hold together well and give the tacos great flavor and crunch.
Is Birria Tacos Recipe Slow Cooker Healthy?
Although this recipe is high in saturated fat, it is a very healthy dish. It has all the nutrients a human body needs, and it has little salt and no sugar. Most slow cooker recipes are healthy since they are cooked for quite some time.
Is Birria Tacos Recipe Slow Cooker Gluten-Free?
The bun used in this recipe isn’t a traditional tortilla. It can be used to make tortillas from scratch or wrapped around the filling.
Tortillas are typically made out of wheat flour, corn, or both. This recipe is gluten-free because it contains no flour at all! However, if you have celiac disease, you should not eat this dish as it may contain gluten!
Is Birria Tacos Recipe Slow Cooker Vegan?
The tacos can be vegan if you use vegan shells and omit the grated cheese. If the meat used to make these tacos is still raw, it can be stuck together with a bit of egg white or milk mixed into the meat (to help bind it).
You can be the judge of whether this recipe is worth trying or not. But I must say, I thought it was very good! Use your judgment and decide whether this recipe deserves to be a part of your collection.
After all, it is indeed one of the bar-none best Mexican dishes out there. My only concern is how long it takes to make it! I hope you enjoy this Birria Tacos Recipe Slow Cooker as much as we did.
What is the birria taco sauce made of?
The flavor of the taco sauce depends on the kind of taco sauce you buy. The canned taco sauce I used had ingredients listed as tomatoes, water, sugar, tomato paste, salt, citric acid, and spices.
How do you make birria tacos, not soggy?
You can wrap the tacos in a napkin or paper towel and hold them in place with a bowl or plate. Alternatively, you can keep them warm by putting them in an oven or microwave wrapped in foil.
What is birria broth made of?
Birria broth is made of beef, pork, or sometimes goat meat. The goal is to find a slice of meat that isn’t too tough and doesn’t have plenty of bones. Ask the butcher at your local market for advice if you’re not sure. This recipe calls for beef, but you can also use pork or goat. Be sure to ask the butcher for the fat from the animal’s tail because it’s important to use this in this recipe.
What cut of beef is best for birria?
Use a slice of meat that yields tender, juicy shreds. I used a large shoulder blade roast and found it to produce great results.
What is the best way to cook birria?
To make great birria, you’ll need to use real beef broth. Some brands are simply water and sodium glutamate with no beef in them at all. This recipe uses real beef broth made from the bones and fat of the animal, but you can also get powdered and canned chicken broth.